Sunday, January 16, 2011

Fritz Van de Kamp - 2011 Plans and Goals

It would be difficult to call 2010 a complete success considering that I didn’t race at all between June 6th and November 18th due to an injury.  All was not lost however, because in the races I did run, i.e. SLC, Ogden, and Mesquite Marathons, and the Squaw Peak 50 I placed very well.  Building on those performances and the massive hours of cross training on my bike I put in during the summer, I think I am set up to run well in 2011 and hopefully set multiple PRs at all road distances.  Last year I contemplated giving the Wasatch 100 a go but have since come to my senses and will put that goal on hold for at least another year.  I just figure that now is my best chance to peak on the road so those ultra aspirations will have to wait.

Thus far in 2011, I have ramped up my training by putting in some relatively high mile weeks (possibly too many on the treadmill) and now I look forward to kicking off the race season next weekend when I run the St. George Painter’s Half Marathon.  It will be great to see if and by how much my training has paid off against lots of fast competition.  After Painter’s I plan to build for the SLC and Ogden Marathons by mixing in some shorter races and a half marathon.  Then I plan to spend the summer season doing some damage to the local track (I might have to jump the fence) with the hope of simply getting faster and setting 5k, 10k, and half marathon PRs.  I have never specifically trained for the shorter distances because I never raced in high school or college, but I suspect that by doing so I will see big improvements in my marathon.  The end goal of it all will be to set a big PR (sub 2:22) at Chicago in early October.  I admit, of course, that the OTC is my ultimate objective but that goal will have to be kept in my head for now.

Here’s to a healthy and fast 2011!  I look forward to seeing many of you at the races.

Current 2011 race schedule:

  • Painter's Half (St. George)
  • SLC Track Club Winter Series
  • Strider's Half
  • SLC Marathon
  • Ogden Marathon
  • Utah Valley Half
  • Timpanogos Half (new 26.2 Running Co. event)
  • Top of Utah Half
  • Chicago Marathon 
  • (additions TBD)  

1 comment:

  1. probably should continue to consider the DC marathon 3/26

    ReplyDelete